One-Way Ticket To Paradise

1:10 AM

I've been raving on and on and on about how amazing my first trip with friends was in different social media outlets. Now, I've finally got the time of day to blog about my entire experience and maybe give some travel advice along the way.



I grew up in a world where I'm taught to always respect authority. I'm not totally saying that I've never talked back with my parents because I did. Maybe one or two or many times. But when it comes to outings and travelling, when my parents say no, it's always a firm no. The approval depends on the distance of the destination. If it's too far, the chances of getting the "yes" are ten to zero percent chance. If it's quite near, the chances are going to play around fifty to ninety percent. It's never a definitive yes.

So when I graduated college and finally passed the boards, I took a shot at asking for my family's permission to go to a Leyte trip with my friends. At first, my mother was hesitant because of the ongoing Martial Law in Mindanao (or maybe that was just her excuse for me not to go). But then, when I asked for the second time, she finally gave the nod and I was beyond ecstatic. Although, I believe she only approved because it's her hometown and my grandparents live there. The Leyte trip was actually our plan B to our Siargao trip. I am thankful the Siargao trip didn't get pursued because I know my mom and aunt wouldn't give me the permission.

The trip began when me, Charles and Louis embarked the ship heading to Bato, Leyte. The one-way ticket costs P275, and the trip lasted for about 6 hours-ish (9PM-4AM). The ship wasn't the one my family and I usually book when we go to Leyte, so it was kind of new to me. From Bato, we stayed at one of our friend's house for a couple of hours and went straight to Inopacan where the Tres Islas is located. The islands are already regulated by the municipality so the rates for their bancas for the island hopping were no longer negotiable. We boarded the P2500 which was good for 10 persons and below. So it is best to bring 9 persons along just to really minimize the expense. As for us, all 7 of us, each individual would necessarily have to pay slightly bigger amounts.

Total Expenses for the Tres Islas island hopping (for each individual):
For the banca - P358; for the food - (roughly) P200; so basically, that's around P558

After one of whole day of being in the ocean and seeing the beaut that is the Digyu Island (which by the way is the only island among the three islands that I really appreciate so much), we decided to head back to my grandparents' house which was in Hilongos. It was unfortunate that my camera's memory card adapter was damaged. That is why I fail to present photos for you. Thankfully, PJ has adapters so the next trips were jam-packed with photos.

We slept through the night and woke up at around 5AM. We did our morning routine, prepared all the things needed for our next trip and by 7AM, we headed to Limasawa Island. Okay, me saying "we headed to Limasawa Island" is an understatement, because really, one cannot expect a smooth journey from Hilongos to Padre Burgos especially if you're only commuting. Let me shortly run through the 2-hour trip to Padre Burgos.
From Hilongos, we rode a jeepney to Maasin which was roughly around one hour. From Maasin, we rode another jeepney headed to Padre Burgos which took another one hour. So for the fare, it roughly costs around P100 each.
Upon arrival to Padre Burgos, our contact banca driver came and we aboard. The banca costs 2500 back and forth (and by back and forth I mean, going to the island and going back to mainland). Okay, before I start rambling on about how much I love the island, let's talk money again.

Total Expenses for the Limasawa Island trip (for each individual):
For the banca - P215; for the food - (roughly) P400; for the island tour - P100; for the fare - P200; for the cottage - P100; so a total of P1,015

Now to begin feasting your eyes with the beauty that is the Limasawa Island:
 

Here's my honest review about the island experience here in Limasawa Island:

The island is an absolute paradise. The last photo above was taken from the lagoon. And may I just say that our path towards this beaut was surely something I would never ever forget.
Yes, folks, as seen from the photo above, that is where we entered. The locals call it "Liki". Like they told us that the only way we could get to the lagoon was by using the path in "liki". Liki in english, literally means crack. So basically, we were entering a mountain crack. Seriously, if my mom knew about the trip I had, she'd flip. HAHAHA. Just to add to the intensity of the danger of it, I have clammy hands and feet and wearing rubber slippers weren't helping my case either. Remembering the journey we had, my friends couldn't help but crack up at how ridiculous I look walking to the lagoon. It was then I realized that I'm not really up for outdoorsy activities, BUT it wouldn't hurt to experience them, so I guess, I would still be saying yes to a trip outdoors.

With approximately 100 in population, everyone probably knows everyone so if you're worried about crime, there's no need to get all anxious. The locals are friendly (well, most of them are). The P700 cottage is enough for a travelling group of 10. So given we were only 7 in our group, we still have more space inside. Although, the cottage has only one bed and it can only accommodate 3 people at most. So, if you're planning to go on a trip on the island, you better pack some extra banig (folding bed mats) and blankets. It has one ceiling fan and two outlets. Also, the island has a curfew on their electricity. No electricity begins at 12 in the evening until around 9-10 in the morning. It gets pretty humid in the evening. I don't know if its the usual thing, but our overnight stay was kind of hot. So you can stay outside your cottage which is actually just in front of the beach. Just make sure to lay your banig ;)

Some group photos here and there because it's a travelling necessity. Oh yes, it is.

Here's a rare photo of the kind of foods we were eating - all canned and packed and pre-made at home. I don't even know why we brought that Alaska Evaporada. *laughs*

And lastly, a definitive proof of my "can't seem to stop applying make up" self. I mean, I just have to do it. I'd look like I'll be crawling out of your tv screens if I don't.

So our next and final trip was the Canigao Island.

But I feel like this post has been wayy to lengthy, so I'm just going to state the total expenses of the entire Canigao trip and all the reviews and pictures will be in another post.

Total Expenses for the Canigao Island trip (for each individual):
For the banca - P233; for the food - (roughly) P300; so that gives a total of P533

TOTAL EXPENSES FOR MY LEYTE TRIP:
Tres Islas - 558
Limasawa Island - 1015
Canigao - 533
Other untraceable expenses (including pasalubongs and shipping fares) - 1000
GRAND TOTAL OF: (roughly) 3100

So I guess you can bring with you P3500 and you're good to go.

I hope this post will help you in planning for your first/next Leyte Island Hopping trip. I apologize for making rough estimates though. The trip was done last month and I just couldn't bring myself to remember vividly the amounts contributed. You can comment your queries about the trip below and I hope I'd be able to answer them as accurately as possible.

P.S. I know you're counting how many times I've said "rough" in this post. Will expand my vocabulary. I promise.

You Might Also Like

2 comments