From IAO with love

8:30 PM

Let's do a little flashback.

About a year ago, after the stress of my academic life and the success of passing the board exams for CPAs, I had one of the best times of my life when I got to go on a vacation with my friends. And if you've been reading that blog post, you'll know why it was such a big deal for me. I considered it as the entrance to the realm of adulthood.

Now, I believe we've officially made it an annual thing to go on a week-long vacation every 2nd week of June. So for this year, we decided to go to the SURFING CAPITAL of the PHILIPPINES. Yes, you guessed right. SIARGAO, baby!

Get ready. This is gonna be one lengthy post 😄


I know I've got a lot to share with you, guys - the preparation, the experience, the place, the finances, who to contact to, yes all the stuffs to be considered when you're going on a vacation. All questions in your head will be answered (as much as possible). Of course, all taking into account that everything I'm going to share is based purely on what I've experienced.

Okay, for starters, let me say that this trip is actually a year-in-the-making because this was supposed to be a trip last year but due to, well, monetary constraints, it would be impossible for me to come to the trip. Thankfully, they postponed it and so this year, it finally happened.

So before I get to ramble about one of the days of my life, let's talk money first, because let's face it, everything we do has a cost.

THE FINANCES:


Our initial contribution was 2,000php but during our 4th day, we notice that our money would not be enough anymore so we made additional contribution of 500.
If you have more questions about the trip, like who to contact and etc., you can leave a comment at the bottom of this post. And I'll try to answer as much as I can.

THE EXPERIENCE:

We left Cebu at 7pm and embarked on an 8-hour trip via MV Filipinas, a Cokaliong Shipping Line-owned ship, to Surigao. Yes, honey, that long. So if you want to take a shortcut, taking a plane would save you the hassle. And the ride wasn't easy for me either. It was a rough journey that I had to be at the ship's bathroom for an hour because I got dizzy from all the wavy action.

Side note (mini review): If I ever go back to Siargao, I'd probably just take a plane from now on and it's mainly because of the lack of cleanliness in the ship. Sorry, Cokaliong but y'all need to check your ships for sanitary reasons.

Upon reaching Surigao, we took a ferry going to Siargao Island. The ferry ride is about 3 hours, after that we're finally on the island at the port of Dapa. From Dapa, we took a tricycle going to Jing's Place Homestay which is General Luna, and which is going to be our home for the next 5 days. We arrived at our accommodation at around 10 in the morning.

Since only 4 of us were bold enough to travel by sea, we had to wait up for the rest of the gang to arrive to the homestay. Decided to stroll around for a bit, get acquainted with the place and the people. At around 3 pm, Art wanted to waste no time and decided to go to Cloud 9 and officially begin his trip by, of course, surfing. But (big mistake) we didn't get an instructor and just rented surfboards instead. So it was more like, we're using the boards as floaties. Had about an hour or two of swimming fun and head back to Jing's Place at around 6pm where we had dinner. It's a good thing that the place we rented had a kitchen or our groceries would've gone to a total waste. After dinner, Art and I strolled around General Luna and checked out their night scene. One of the great things I noticed in Siargao is their signages. I mean, these people are creative. See pictures below for proof.


At Boyum's, I had the opportunity to try out the traditional shawarma wrap, not the Leylam's or Turks we all so find delicious, and not to burst your bubble, those aren't legitimate shawarma wraps. I mean, let's admit it. Those "shawarma wraps" are changed to fit the taste buds for the masang Pilipino.

The shawarma stand is owned by the guy below.

Oh and yes, below is me sipping on a flavorful mango shake and feasting on that shawarma wrap.

After the mini tour of the place, my friends decided to party at the Jungle. So here's another great thing about Siargao, and all party people would enjoy this. Every night, 2 bars host a party, so you're not going on the same bar every night. I mean, for me, that's kinda cool.


The next day, we went island hopping - three islands to be exact (Naked, Dako, Guyam). Unfortunately, this was also the same day my camera got drenched in saltwater and decided to be broken - well, mainly my fault. I'm still grieving about it until now.

On our third day, we rented a truck and went to the Magpupungko Rock Formation which these incredible shots of the waves as backgrounds are taken.
After that we went straight ahead to Sugba Lagoon and Cawhagan Island. And boy, the place was wonderful. Sugba Lagoon is indeed a must-see place if you're in Siargao. Our Cawhagan Island experience was short but it was still good after seeing the place, I mean after all, it's like the many islets we've visited. The only difference is that residence in the place are willing to cook for you. So good thing we bought pork and fish ahead of time and brought it with us.

On the fourth day of our trip, we went to Bucas Grande where the Sohoton Cove and the lagoon where the stingless jellyfish can be found. Sohoton Cove is where we get to go see an underwater cave and do some cliff jumping, and after that adventure, we paddled our way to the jellyfish lagoon. Didn't get to photograph the jellyfish because I didnt bring my phone with me, but I did have these photos as a "substitute"

On our last full day on the island, we did the most important thing during this vacation. Oh yes, SURFING, BABY! But not just an hour of surfing buuuuuttt two freakin' most amazing two hours of my entire life. Hahaha, okay, I'm exaggerating. But it really was incredibly awesome.


Surfing at Siargao is an absolute must. I admit, at first, I didn't want to because I thought it's just gonna be another mainstream experience and it'll just be another mundane thing to do. But, I was totally wrong. And if there's one thing I'll really come back for in Siargao, it's this - SURFING!

To end this post, I'm going to share our best group shots, and I really mean the best because I always brag about how we are also cohesively photogenic 😜


I hope this post is quite informative for everyone who's planning to head on to Siargao and have the entire solid experience.

This was definitely one for the books.

Thanks, Siargao! Till next time 💕



Keep Posted.

You Might Also Like

0 comments